Gump Worsley 1929 - 2007

Hockey fans know there's only one man known as Gump.

Lorne "Gump" Worsley was hockey's hard luck goalie for over a decade before joining the Montreal Canadiens. Nicknamed for his likeness to cartoon character Andy Gump, Worsley was one of hockey's greatest characters. A seemingly happy-go-lucky soul would bravely stand in his net, collecting over 200 stitches and claiming "my face is a mask."

Born in Montreal in 1929, Worsley grew up in extreme poverty. The great depression left his family penniless, but this did not stop Gump from dreaming of becoming a big league goalie. Worsley, who had to borrow equipment for much of his youth, did not dream of playing for Montreal Canadiens. Instead he admired Frank Brimsek of the Bruins and Davey Kerr of the Rangers.

Employing the old stand-up style of netminding, Worsley advanced from the Verdun Cyclones junior team, he would turn pro in 1948 as a New York Ranger farmhand. Despite numerous All-Star seasons with several teams in several leagues, it wasn't until 1952-53 that Worsley got a shot at the NHL. Rangers starter Chuck Rayner was injured for much of that season, and despite a last place finish Worsley impressed enough to earn the Calder trophy as the NHL's best rookie.

The short and stocky Worsley never would have expected what would happen next. The following season the NHL's best rookie never had a chance to play. Instead he was sent to Vancouver of the old Western Hockey League. While earning a league championship and top goalie and MVP awards with the WHL Canucks, Worsley watched his replacement in New York, Johnny Bower, flounder.

1954-55 saw Worsley return to the Big Apple for the next decade, though that wasn't necessarily a positive thing. The Rangers continued to be completely hapless, surrendering nightly onslaughts of 30 and 40 shots a night, leading the quotable Worsley to term his experience there as a "jailhouse." A reporter once asked Worsley which team game him the most trouble. Gump quickly answered, "The Rangers."

Gump came across as loveable and admirable on the ice and in the eyes of the public, but he actually suffered from depression and alcoholism during his tenure in Manhattan.

After ten years of being a live target with the Rangers, Gump was traded to the defense-oriented Montreal Canadiens. The trade salvaged Gump's legacy as a loveable goalie on a terrible team to a legacy of Stanley Cup championships and a Hall of Fame nod. Worsley backstopped the Habs to Stanley Cup championships in 1964-65, 1965-66, 1967-68 and 1968-69. He was selected to the NHL's First All-Star Team in 1968 and to the Second Team in 1966. Worsley and partner Charlie Hodge shared the Vezina Trophy for lowest goals-against average in 1965-66. Gump and Rogie Vachon shared the same award in 1967-68.

Early in 1969 he suffered a nervous breakdown due to his petrifying fear of flying, the new norm in NHL travel thanks to western expansion. His career seemed to be over, but the expansion Minnesota North Stars took their chances with the goaltending icon by picking up his rights. The 40 year old goalie returned in 1970, playing some of his best hockey ever. His enthusiasm helped the Stars get into the playoffs for three straight years.

Gump ended up playing in 24 seasons, allowing a 2.91 goals against average in 862 games, and recorded 43 shutouts. Elected into the Hall of Fame in 1980, Gump was not only one of the greatest players, but one of the games most likeable characters.


ed,  6:58 PM  

The NHL NEEDED 20 MORE Gump Worsley's

Unknown 8:02 AM  

I remember the Gumper very fondly.
I grew up as a Bruins fan.
They fought it out every year for 5th place in a six-team league!
The Gumper was always fun to watch, but he also was a very good goalie.
I remember meeting him & getting several of his autographs.
We waited for him to have his lunch with a few drinks @ the old Lucerne Restaurant in the old North Station.
Although he willingly signed for me, I could see he was very apprehensive about playing that evening.

H.D.Curlis,  10:50 PM  

During the summer month of 1955 I had a day job, as timekeeper for the electrical shop of Canadian Vickers Shipyard.Opposite from me in the office sat Lorn "Gump" Worseley, performing some clerical
job. I was three years his junior and newcomer to Canada. He was a very friendly colleague and rarely mentioned that during the season he was the "goalie" of he NY Rangers. I recall that we exchanged many stories about our lives.I had only seen him on TV and never saw life Ice hockey.
Now many years later I learned that he died of a heart attack ten years ago. It touches me since
he had left this very jolly and goodhearted impression on me.

Anonymous,  2:48 AM  

Growing up in Bloomington,Mn.
I lived close to his family and me and my older brother would babysit his kids when he was playing at The Met in Bloomington or out of town from time to time. After a game he came home, sit in his recliner ,drink a beer and fall asleep..i know for sure the game wore him out every night..Good memories for me and my brother.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by 2008

Back to TOP